Tuesday, September 23, 2008

LetterPop Tart...

Normally, I dig documents that have been pre-formatted. I'm creative enough, but trying to actually design posters and brochures is always a bit of a trial for me. Send me something that's already been laid out, though, and I'll happy fill in the blanks...

So LetterPop sounded like a great idea to me - pick a template, fill in some text and drop in a nifty picture or two - niiiice, right?

Well, sure - in theory... but in practice - I found it a little clunky (why, oh why must it "forget" my font selection everytime I hit "Enter"?!) and (in the free incarnation at least) a little... cluttered, design-wise. The templates are certainly nifty, but do they all have to be soooo color intensive? I don't want to think about all the color toner this is going to burn through...

All that said, LetterPop could be a nifty little tool. I can definitely envision some of our staff going crazy with it! I think it would best serve us if we were to offer it to staff with a "style sheet" attached - and if we were to upload our logo to Flickr, so that it could be used on all the documents (this is something that we aren't currently doing, but should be).

At the moment, I'm not totally sold on LetterPop, but I suspect that if I wanted to put together a casual newsletter for a family or social group, this would be a great tool. It may be a little too casual for a more formal business setting, though. Definitely something to share with the staff here and see what they can do with it.

No comments: