Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Plaxo, not Plaxico...

If you're a Steelers or Giants fan, you might get my title... if not - the short version is that he's a pro football player, who, because he didn't show up for a scheduled team meeting, got suspended and lost some pay - seemed just relevant enough to use for a silly post-title...
But I digress...

Today (and very belatedly), I played around with Plaxo. Maybe if I'd been using Plaxo several weeks ago (when I should have started on it), I'd be more caught up on Learning 2.1...
Yeah, right.
Here's the deal - I'm a paper dinosaur - I've got a big old desk calendar in the middle of my desk at work (though it's often buried under mounds of stuff) and I carry a full-sized month-by-month guy around with me ALL the time. Internet access - well, that's a work only thing, and if I'm at work, I've got access to my desk calendar and the carry-around one. I don't even use the calendar part of Zimbra, so personally, the super-duper synching aspects of Plaxo are pretty much lost on me. Nor do I (and forgive me for using nouns as verbs) currently FaceBook or MySpace. I keep up with a blog or two, but honestly, I prefer my communications to be of the instantaneous and phone-based variety.

That said, sure, I can definitely see where Plaxo could be useful here at the library. Our official scheduler might actually benefit if the staff could all use a common calendar - so she'd know in advance that Scotti and I are both going to that Reference Group (forgive me, Adult Services Interest Group) meeting and that it is, in fact tomorrow, and not next week. And imagine the possibilities if we used it as a calendaring software for library programming and stuff - people wouldn't have to call and bug our admin assistant to find out if the meeting room is booked for this, that or the other day... hmmmm.
And when it comes to ease of use - Plaxo does seem to be ridiculously simple - it was ridiculously easy to add events to my calendar - so much so that I got a little distracted and just. kept. adding. Couldn't stop myself, just kept filling in those cute little squares - bad idea, though - now I realize just how busy I'm going to be for the rest of the month! Oy.
I did have some trouble trying to find out how to differentiate different events as "work" vs. "home", though - so all of my entries are crowded onto one calendar page - just like the paper version. I'd like to figure out how to categorize the events so that I could toggle between them (when I'm feeling a little overwhelmed) or see them all at once (when I need to see how all those events overlap).
The countdown feature is cute, and intellectually, the task list appeals to me. In practice, however, I don't really need either - especially since I like to carry those "to do lists" along with me, often to places that lack internet access...

Onward to Thing 3!

No comments: