Thursday, November 6, 2008

SlideShare and Go Seek

Just a quick example of some of what SlideShare can do:



(And of course, I know it's not library-related - but the marketing ideas are pretty interesting, as TB racing really does need a pretty major image adjustment... a little like libraries.)

What did I think about SlideShare? It's pretty cool, and could really be useful for folks who present "away from home" - It could save you from needing to keep track of your thumb drive or CD, and hoping that the laptop you've borrowed has PowerPoint already installed. Of course, you do need to be in a place that has internet access... but we won't go there. In touring SlideShare, I actually found quite a few Library related presentations - including an interesting one on libraries in Second Life (OK, so it's 2 years old, but still interesting, especially as it lists a number of caveats for those who are considering jumping into SL).
I also like the idea of using SlideShare as a way to connect people with a presentation - even if they couldn't be there physically. I've been to plenty of workshops and conferences where the presenters had some really good slides, but didn't provide printouts - with SlideShare, I can get right into that presentation from home, and find that one perfect slide, or just share the whole darn thing with my co-workers!
SlideShare is well organized (though I'd like it if they put a "Help" link somewhere near the top of the screen, rather than hiding it in the small print at the bottom) and the interface's extreme similarity to YouTube meant that I didn't have to spend much time learning how to navigate the site.

Short version - SlideShare gets a thumbs up from me, even though, as a general rule, I HATE PowerPoint presentations. I'm going to share it with co-workers who are currently taking part in LATI, so that they can use it (as a backup, maybe?) when they have to present their projects at the LATI Showcase.

No comments: