Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm all aTwitter!

Check it out - I'm finally caught up on Learning 2.1, and we're already more than halfway through! Now that I'm keeping up a little better, I'm having more and more fun playing with the new "toys" - and Twitter is a perfect example.

I'd heard about Twitter quite a while ago on a blog that I follow -
...
Sorry - Since that was in my head, I had to run over to my Bloglines account so I could locate that particular Twitterer and follow them! (Leigh Anne Vrabel of Library Alchemy tweets as "libraryalchemy" from the reference desk at the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh if you're interested.)
(back to our regularly scheduled blogging)
So, yes, I'd heard about Twitter on Library Alchemy, but hadn't really had time to follow through and investigate it on my own. Now that I've been able to play with it a little, I'm amused by it. Personally, I don't foresee that I'll be Tweeting away constantly, but I definitely agree with the "microblogging" label - it's a great way to update, without having to commit to a lengthy blog post. Of course, unless someone is following you, it feels a bit more like a diary than a blog, and hey, wouldn't that be a good way to keep track of things? Imagine, if you will, that you're keeping a food log - Twitter could be a great way to do that (assuming that you have internet access or are willing to text your Tweetings). What about at conferences? You could Tweet your gut reactions about sessions you'd just finished attending! Clearly, this isn't the place for detailed posting, but Twitter could be an ideal way to jog your memory! Kind of like Jott, actually, but with typing.
Leigh Anne at CPL is doing a neat thing at their reference desk - when she's on the desk, she tweets about what's happening there. Sometimes it's very mundane "lent the stapler, got it back" kind of stuff, but it really does capture what it can be like at the reference desk. Heck, we could use Twitter to capture reference stats!
Hmmm.
Gotta go - going to Tweet about that.

No comments: