Friday, October 17, 2008

YourMinis or mine?

Well, I have to say that I wasn't especially impressed with YourMinis. I'm a bit too enamored of my Bloglines account, and YourMinis just felt like a less useful version of Bloglines, especially when I added a few of my favorite feeds and found that they only showed headlines, but no pictures! (ihasahotdog just isn't as funny when you can't see the pictures...)
I could foresee widgets as becoming somewhat of a distraction if added to my desktop - every update would tempt me to "just check it out" - that's probably not a great thing for sites that are updated frequently. As it stands now, I check in on my Bloglines account once a day
I could see some utility for the library though - just imagine if the local emergency management authority had a widget - the library could provide up to the moment updates right on our homepage (and we wouldn't have to do anything but add that widget to the page!) Does Weather Underground have a severe weather warning widget? That could be worth investigating!

No comments: