Monday, October 15, 2007

Thing 11 (or, how do I love thee, LibraryThing)

(With apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

I love thee for the depth and breadth and height
Of thine catalog, (or at least Amazon's site)
For it makes finding my titles a breeze.
I love thee for the level of cataloging expertise
You require of me - which is none.
I love thee freely, as you charge me the same.
I love thee purely, as you don't ask me for my name,
Nor credit card, nor personal information I don't wish to give.

Seriously, I freaking LOVE LibraryThing - I've actually been using it for most of a year now - just to keep track of books that I've read so far. I set up a new account today (just for this exercise) to keep track of books that I'm planning on reading. You should get to see that little catalog on this post.
I have to admit that I haven't been using LT to the "depth and breadth and height" of its potential, though - I haven't been tagging or reviewing any of my titles, and I've only checked the LT blog when the site has gone down (which happened for a week or so earlier this year). I did get one comment about a book I'd posted from another LTer - and I'm not actually sure if I was successful in replying to her.
All that said, I still love the concept and the ease of use of LibraryThing - I tell everybody about it and how wonderful it is - so today's task was a breeze!
Here's my "to be read" catalog at the moment:

No comments: