Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thing 18 (What's up, Docs?)

Thing 18 already, and we're only now finding out about web-based document storage?! This is seriously useful to me! While I do have "my" PC here at work, I do spend a pretty significant amount of time at another desk, so the ability to access my documents via the web is great! One major disappointment is that GoogleDocs/Writely doesn't support Publisher files, so I'll have to keep carrying that thumbdrive or CD around with me if I want to work on my database flyer... Even with that, this particular tool could have alot of utility around here. I'm most interested in being able to access my documents from other terminals, as I don't do alot of collaborative work, but I could see how people who do that kind of work could find this especially useful.

As you can see below, I did experiment with publishing a document to my blog, and it worked (and was very easy to do). The GoogleDocs interface was really pretty simple to use (though I didn't do much with it) - and looks like a cross between my usual Word toolbar and the Blogger Post Create/Edit screen. Definitely non-threatening and pretty user friendly. I don't do alot with Excel, so I can't give a good review of that kind of work, but the basic "word processing" functions are good.

I don't know that it's going to complete usurp the use of these kind of applications on one's desktop - if you rely on web-based apps, you'd better have a darn reliable internet connection - but these applications can clearly enhance your ability to access your files and work with others on shared documents.

--------

MILEAGE LOG

Talbot County Free Library


Employee Name:__________________________________


For Period from: _________________________ through: ________________________


Date

From

To

Miles Traveled

Reason for Travel




























































































Total

Miles: ____________ X .485 = $______________



______________________________ ______________________________

Employee Signature Approval Signature


______________________________

Approval Date

No comments: