Friday, October 19, 2007

Thing 21 - Aghast at all the Podcasts...

Quick note to those who follow me on the Journey of 23 Steps (and them as what laid the trail for us) - The Yahoo Podcast site will be taken down as of 31 October 2007. This is a major bummer, because after searching podcast.net, podcastalley.com and YahooPodcasts, the Yahoo site was by far the best. It was the easiest to search and actually gave useful information on each podcast on the initial list of search results.
Podcastalley only gives you a list of results - for any sort of information about the podcast, you have to click on the podcast title - it takes 2 clicks(!) to find out when the latest episode posted - YahooPodcasts offers that information on the results screen, along with a quick summary, lists of tags AND an "explicit" label (not a necessity if you're listening for your own interests, but a nice feature if you're talking to a library patron about a particular podcast). Podcast.net gives a very brief summary of the podcast on the main search page, but saves the date of the latest update for the next screen.

I went ahead and added two of the podcasts that I found to my Bloglines account. Once again, this was really easy to do, but I think that's more a function of the Bloglines' really easy-to-deal-with interface than that of the podcast search tools...

One thing that I did notice about a fair number of the podcasts that I found were that they were not updated very frequently. One had apparently shut down entirely - and that was pretty disappointing. That's a big factor in my desire to see the publish date of the latest podcast.

On this one exercise, I'm not going to try to do the extra challenge - I'm sure that creating a podcast is very easy, but it requires a little more equipment (and probably a slightly quieter space) than I have easy access to.

No comments: