Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Thing 14 - Technorati glitterati...

Checking out Technorati today -
Yep, I did get different results when I searched for "Learning 2.0" in blog posts - lots of hits there (basically anytime anybody used that term in a post), and in tags (also found 176 tagged as "learning2.0", which is the way del.icio.us would suggest you tag it) and 300-odd blogs about "Learning 2.0" - many of which were libraries.

I also investigated the "popular" bits of Technorati - and hey look! "Learning 2.0" is now one of the top searches now! It wasn't that way when I first visited the site (before I started searching), so I have to believe that it's got something to do with me... as of right now, "learning 2.0" is above iphone, youtube, facebook and ron paul! Ummm - what's that mean about how many people are searching Technorati... (assuming of course, that this "learning 2.0" bump is a direct result of my searches, and not a sudden worldwide interest in learning 2.0...)
I'm not surprised that a large percentage of the most favorited blogs and top blogs are tech/gadget-centered - I think that if you're really interested in what's new and gadget-y, then Technorati is probably right up your alley. For me - eh, not so much. I feel like I'm seeing a lot of flash, but not alot of cash, so to speak - sure, it updates every couple of seconds with somebody's latest new blog post, but do I really care about everything that ANYbody wants to post - no. For the time being, I think I'll stick to some of the search tools we explored back in Thing 9.

**** WARNING ****
A brief rant follows, so unless you want to know what really torques me off about Technorati, don't bother reading any further...
**** End WARNING ****

A huge pet peeve of mine is that header they use - "Everything in the known universe about..." Seriously? You're kidding, right? 'Cause "everything in the known universe" covers an awful lot, and I'm having a tough time believing that a bunch of folks' self-reporting = "everything in the known universe". Suffice it to say, I suspect that there's a good deal of information still locked away in peoples' brains and bookshelves that can't be found by way of Technorati...

No comments: